Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Pit

You know how you can tell there is a lesson for you to learn at church on Sunday morning? Well, satan does everything he can to keep you from going. I got up in plenty of time. (thanks to the church having 3 different services on Sunday. surely I'll make it to one of them.) After feeding the boys, dressing the boys and myself and choking down my soggy cereal (I got up first, but mid-bowl the boys got up and wanted food immediately, hence the soggy cereal) we headed out to church. There's nothing like trying to get everyone ready and to respective Sunday school classes that makes me appreciate my husband more and more. I'm lucky, no blessed, to have a husband who more than pulls his weight around the house. He is by far the best hubby in the world. Easily taken for granted until he's not there to lift the Hulk out of the car seat or push the 50+lbs in the double stroller with a diaper bag on either shoulder.

But that wasn't the lesson I learned. Although I appreciated the reminder. The sermon was about Joseph and his "pit" test. I can't really say that I'm in a pit right now. But I also can't say that I've been using the gifts God gave me. Actually, I've been trying for a while now to figure out exactly what gifts I have. I know people whose gifts are quite obvious. There's the musically inclined, the people who can speak in front of a crowd without sweating buckets and turning 20 different shades of red, those who would give you the shirt of their back and never think twice or ask for it back later down the road, those that can paint, draw, or write, and those who seem to have a direct line to God when they pray. You know the ones I'm talking about. They open their mouths and say everything you are thinking and feeling and then some without pausing or stuttering or repeating themselves over and over.

I've not had a quiet moment today to sit and ask God to show me. I do plan on doing just that. However, I'd like to ask those of you who know me and know me well to leave a comment on what you think are my gifts. I'd really like your opinion. I'd like to nurture my gifts and starting using them for God's glory. So help me out if you get the chance. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Well, Carla, as your career choice proves: you are very much an intelligent person and have a great caring soul for helping others.

    Coupled with your love of family, you prove are a nurturer. But you are much, much more and you feel this.

    Think of the things you like to do in your 'off time'. Or the things you did "B.F." (before family). ;-)

    Gifts lie in the cracks of the busy sidewalk we call Life.One can't always see the gifts we have when embroiled in a young, demanding family and speeding down this Life sidewalk.

    Hardly a chance to enjoy a bowl of cereal, let alone focus on natural born Gifts that are yearning to be released.

    Surf the 'Net for things you like. Believe it or not, this will stimulate your appetite and launch you on a project which will allow your Gifts to emerge!

    Do you like gardening? Google 'home gardening'.

    Do you like helping others? Google 'humanitarian causes'.

    Sooner or later you will come upon an idea, a search, a quest that will rekindle your Gifts.

    You love photos, I know this. Have you considered scrapbooking? Give the kids some paper and crayons and let them entertain themselves while you work on your projects. They'll think they are helping mommy!

    You love your church, and you love helping others in the manner of humanitarian aid.

    I say 'Gifts', as I know you have many.

    And, yes, I have to agree...you have one of the best husbands there are!! You are a fortunate woman...but then...he is a fortunate man to have you!

    Love to You and I wish you Joy on your Journey

    ReplyDelete